Cushions for Wheelchairs
GET THE Best Seat in the House!
The Cushion King Evaluation Service was created by Miller’s for the purpose of connecting individuals with the best cushion to meet their comfort needs.
Miller’s thorough approach to the cushion decision will consider the individual user’s physical condition together with the cushion specific factors, such as: pressure distribution, air circulation, heat transfer, moisture retention, stabilization, maintenance, durability, weight and cost.
Call Miller’s today to experience the difference to you keep mobile and active! We stock almost every cushion possible for you to see, try, and review.
Important Cushion Goals
- Be comfortable
- Relieve Pressure
- Improve Function
- Positive Attributes: Comfortable. Easily customizable. Even under extreme environmental conditions remains stable. Great pressure-reducing characteristics in the ischial and coccyx area. Decreased risk of bottoming out. Lightweight and inexpensive. Easy to clean and maintain. Good for in facility use. Many are dual molded foam come with waterproof coating. Three basic types - planar, standard contour, custom contour.
- Negative Attributes: Can be less durable than other mediums. Requires protection from moisture/incontinence. Foam quality is important. Modest degree of positioning. Has a tendency to lose its resilience over time. Life expectancy of a foam cushion is between six to twelve months.
- Positive Attributes: Can be cost effective. Easy to clean and maintain. Reduces skin temperature and moisture (a prerequisite for tissue breakdown). Excellent shear and pressure reduction. Good option for tilt-n-space chairs. Provides a more stable base than air cushions.
- Negative Attributes: Heavy. Can be effected by changes in external temperatures. Unable to customize. Increased risk of bottoming out. Cannot be repaired. High viscosity means envelopment is poor.
- Positive Attributes: Lightweight, approximate weight 3.5 lbs. Superior pressure relief. As the body is immersed, greater contact area is achieved. Low friction and shear, slick surface combined with the independent movement of each cell reduces friction/shear as client moves. Easy to clean. Repairable.
- Negative Attributes:High maintenance. Manufacturer recommends a daily inflation check. Sensitive to drastic changes in air pressure. Can be unstable. Difficult for transfers. Easily over/under inflated. Persons who lack sensation may not be able to feel cushion is under inflated. Can be punctured or torn.
- Positive Attributes: Lighter weight than gel. Has greater shock absorbing properties. Can accommodate mild/moderate deformity with variety secondary supports. Envelopment can be good with pressure re-distribution. Firm foam base contoured to provide optimal pelvic positioning. Easy to clean. Absorbs significant amounts of heat from seating surface.
- Negative Attributes: Ineffective at extreme temperatures. Difficult to repair. Requires maintenance. Increased weight. Can cause difficulty with transfers. Can be unstable.
- Positive Attributes: Lightweight, pressure relief; as the body is immersed greater contact area is achieved. Low friction and shear; the slick surface combined with the independent movement of each cell reduces friction/shear as client moves. Easy to clean.
- Negative Attributes: Can be unstable. Difficult for transfers. Modest degree of positioning. Has a tendency to lose its resilience over time.
- Positive Attributes: Stability, the contour base increases stability for transfers in and out of cushion. Solid base features deep leg contours and a seating zone to provide anti-thrust. Skin Protection. Provides protection to the ischia, sacrum, and coccyx area with the foam base. Fluid or air option optimal immersion for high risk of breakdown. Enhanced sitting posture. Improves positioning of the pelvis and lower extremities. Option wedges to accommodate hip limitation.
- Negative Attributes: High maintenance. Expensive.
Proactive, preventive measures like adding a cushion or back are great investments to ensure that you can remain active and comfortable long-term!
Let us help you by working together to develop solutions foryour wheelchair cushion challenges. Our professional staff at Miller’s will help transform your wheelchair environment to assist you in remaining independent.
Experience the Miller’s difference to keep mobile and active!